It was an absolutely incredible day from beginning to end!

The week leading up to the wedding was rainy, cold, and dreadful. It was full of those days where you cannot bear to leave the house because you just want to lie in bed all day. I went so far as to rent umbrellas at Dyed to Match a couple days ahead of time. I couldn’t stand the thought of not having any wedding pictures outside due to the rain.

Saturday arrived and skies were grey that morning, as the girls and I arrived at Salon at the Tower at 8 am. However, by the time we were ready and left for the Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church around 2 pm, glimpses of sun were peeking through the clouds.


Brittany on her wedding day!

The bridesmaids and I anxiously awaited our walk down the aisle, sweating and pacing around the small bridal room provided. It was at that moment I realized all the planning was over - all of the sleepless nights, the money earned and spent, late night e-mails and phone calls – it was all done and all of it finally came together. I felt relieved and ready to take on the day.

As it came time for the big reveal, I felt no sense of doubt or uncertainty. Everyone was sure I would cry down the aisle; though I held strong until Pastor Drew said some endearing words about love that made me only slightly tear up.

Our readings reflected how we should love one another in Romans 12:9-18 as well as how love can be challenging yet rewarding through an excerpt from Taylor Mali’s “How Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog.”

Before we knew it, the ceremony was over and it was on to the receiving line and pictures at the church, outside the Richardson Olmsted Complex, (better known as the old psych center, which I partly chose due to my job as a mental health counselor) as well as at Hoyt Lake in Delaware Park from our awesome photographer, Phil from Buffalo Photography.

This was hands down the most fun part of the day, taking some romantic, but mostly silly pictures with our best friends. We had the wedding party recreate our favorite movie posters and Brian and I even got one with a stranger’s dog to represent our reading!

The photos wrapped up quickly and we were on our way to the Tonawanda Castle for the reception. We were anticipating what our centerpieces from Buffalo Floral Art would look like for months and to say we were impressed would be an understatement. The attention to detail and uniqueness had our guests and us blown away.

Our guests were also fascinated with the cupcakes we chose from Fairy Cakes Cupcakery (especially Flying Bison Pumpkin Octoberfest cake with cream cheese frosting), the sketches done throughout the night by Caricatures by Joy, and the eclectic music choices from our DJ and friend, Peter Payne. We
drank, danced, and laughed the night away.

Brian and I then made our way back to Chicago to head off to the Bahamas for six days for much needed sun, relaxation, and one-on-one time. We are now settled back outside of Chicago with new job opportunities on the horizon as well as new continents and cities to explore in 2017.

With Thanksgiving having just passed, I’m incredibly grateful for all of the support of my family, bridesmaids, groomsmen, friends, and most importantly, my groom, during the past 22 months leading up to the wedding. I encourage Buffalo Brides to learn to let go of stressful and anxiety-provoking situations during planning and fully embrace the special moments throughout planning and especially the day of the wedding – time seems to pass faster than you’d think.